WIC Food Packages...It's Time for a Change!
Thursday, December 1, 2011
The WIC food packages have changed to better meet the nutritional needs of WIC participants. The new food packages align with the 2005 Dietary Guidelines for Americans and infant feeding practice guidelines of the American Academy of Pediatrics.
Major Changes to the Louisiana WIC Food Packages
- Fruits and vegetables for children and all women participants
- Whole grain bread for children ages 1-5 years, prenatal and breastfeeding women.
- Infant foods - jarred fruits and vegetables for all infants and meats for exclusively breastfed infants
- Dried beans and peanut butter for Pregnant, Partially and Completely Breastfeeding Women
- Brown rice as a substitute for whole grain bread
- Canned salmon as a substitute for tuna
- Soy Beverage
- Milk, eggs, juice and cheese are reduced for women and children.
- Juice is eliminated from infant packages
- Infant formula is reduced for partially breastfed and older infants.
Click below for WIC Food packages for Each WIC Participant Type