Nurse Aide Certification - Test for Recertification
Aides may view their contact information and work history, as it appears on the registry at:
- If work in an approved setting is not listed, contact the provider and ask them to report the work history
to the registry. This could possibly be the work history needed for recertification.
In accordance with the Nurse Aide Training Rule, published June 20, 2012, certified nurse aides (CNAs) who do not have proof of at least 8 hours of paid employment in an approved setting (in a 24-month period) may retest (once) within the 2 years immediately following the expiration of the certification; to be recertified.
1. Aides have one opportunity to test for recertification. If an aide:
a. fails to test during the 2 year period following the expiration of their certification, they are
required to retrain
b. does not pass any part of the test (written or skills), they are required to retrain
2. Aides are required to schedule the test and pay for the test.
To determine if you are eligible to test, go to www.labenfa.com to verify your certification status.
1. If your certification status is "not certified", the date by which you will have to retest has not
expired and you have not already retested during the eligibility period listed; you are eligible
a. Print the page which verifies your status and certification period. The page which verifies your
status and certification period and current, official picture identification shall be presented to the
tester; to be admitted to the test.
2. Contact a DHH approved tester to schedule the test. The tester will also give you information
regarding the cost of the test.
II. To determine if you are not eligible to test, go to www.labenfa.com to verify your certification status.
1. If your certification status is "not certified" and the date by which you would have to retest
has expired; you are not eligible to test and will need to retrain.
2. If you have already retested during the eligibility period listed, but did not pass both parts
of the test; you are not eligible to test and will need to retrain.
3. If your certification status is "certified" and the date by which you would have to retest is blank;
you are not eligible to retest.
A copy of the "Nurse Aide Training Rule" and additional information regarding certification and work history are available at http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/directory/detail/7440.