Milk and Dairy Control Program
There are 11 certified farm, plant and tanker inspectors and two Public Health Technicians located throughout the state of Louisiana. The Milk and Dairy Program permits and inspects dairy farms, dairy plants, powdered milk plants, condensed milk plants, frozen desert manufacturers, dairy product depots, bulk milk transport vehicles, milk hauler/samplers and milk receivers in the state.
- In Louisiana there are 144 Grade "A" dairy farms.
- There are nine fluid milk-processing plants.
- Louisiana dairy farms produce 1,500,000 pounds of milk per day (174,418 gallons).
- Louisiana fluid milk processing plants package 3,000,000 pounds of milk per day (348,837 gallons).
- In August 2005, all milk haulers and receivers attained their training for certification as milk samplers as federally required.
- The program participated in the bi-annual National Conference for Interstate Milk Shipments in May 2005.